1. Question Aspen Energy Analyzer

Hi!

Is it possible to do a complete pinch analysis and generate heat exchanger network proposals automatically with Aspen Energy Analyzer? I have tried "Activated Energy Analysis" as described in the Jump Start Guide (please see attachments

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access]
    I have also tried to couple streams manually, but still with poor results (picture 2).

Uploading the HYSYS files into Aspen Energy Analyzer as described in the guide made the program crash. If I press Details in the Energy Analysis window in HYSYS, however, the data seems to upload into Aspen EA. Anyhow, Aspen EA still fails to generate any design changes when following the instructions in the guide.

How will the program handle phase changes? Do you have to split streams that undergo evaporation into three separate streams one for the heating of the liquid, one for the boiling and one for the superheating part? If so, how do you specify an infinite MCp value at the same time as the enthalpy change is equal to the enthalpy of vaporization?

See More: Aspen Energy Analyzer

2. # ADS
    Spons Circuit

3. Re: Aspen Energy Analyzer

softwares do magic.
    It's just a tool that makes it easy to calculate.
    Hit the books and read the manuals
    Nobody will do your work for you

4.    Sponsored Links

-

5. Re: Aspen Energy Analyzer

I know how to do it manually, and I have also read the manuals. I am simply wondering if this program can do it automatically, and what I am doing wrong, since I think I have followed the manual accurately....

7. Re: Aspen Energy Analyzer

Your questions are:
    1. it possible to do a complete pinch analysis and generate heat exchanger network Proposals Automatically With Aspen Energy Analyzer?
    Answer: YES
    2. How will the program handle phase Changes? Do you have to undergo evaporation That streams split into three separate streams - one for the heating of the liquid, the boiling for one and one for the superheating part? If so, how do you specify an infinite MCp value at the same time as the enthalpy change is equal to the enthalpy of vaporization?
    This question is illogical and makes no sense.
    Restate your question

8.    Spons.

9. Re: Aspen Energy Analyzer

I realized how to automatically generate HEN designs now. The Jump Start Guide only explained the retrofit method...

My second question can be described by this picture:

If Aspen EA is using the A-D average approach in figure 3.9 when calculating, that might not be feasible, as seen in figure 3.10. So if this is the case, how do you specify that something is boiling/condensing when heat exchanging?

Last edited by TorOlavHE; 11-21-2015 at 02:27 PM.

10. Re: Aspen Energy Analyzer

Quote Originally Posted by TorOlavHE View Post
    I realized how to automatically generate HEN designs now. The Jump Start Guide only explained the retrofit method...

My second question can be described by this picture:

If Aspen EA is using the A-D average approach in figure 3.9 when calculating* that might not be feasible* as seen in figure 3.10. So if this is the case* how do you specify that something is boiling/condensing when heat exchanging?

Hello*

Can you show me how to automatically create HEN design by Aspen Energy Analyzer? Thanks.

My threads; tuan.huu2007 :

• Re: Aspen Energy Analyzer

Quote Originally Posted by tuan.huu2007 View Post
      Hello*

Can you show me how to automatically create HEN design by Aspen Energy Analyzer? Thanks.
      Sure* I worked on it in my specilization project and a little bit in my master's thesis. You can find my specialization project report together with useful manuals here:

See Chapter 5 and 7.

My master's thesis:

See Chapter 1.5: New premises* corrections and suggested method for heat integration.

Quote Originally Posted by TorOlavHE View Post
      Sure* I worked on it in my specilization project and a little bit in my master's thesis. You can find my specialization project report together with useful manuals here:

See Chapter 5 and 7.

My master's thesis:

See Chapter 1.5: New premises* corrections and suggested method for heat integration.

Hi TorOlavHE*

I found your work is very interesting and helpful for me. I greatly appreciate for all your help.

I saw that in some cases* you cannot input data from Hysys to APA. Same problems with me. Could you explain more how to overcome it?

My threads; tuan.huu2007 :

Glad to hear. Cite me ;D

A fellow student managed to import his whole HYSYS model by clicking "Import HYSYS model" or something in Aspen Energy Analyzer (AEA). I just made a simplified version of the process as you see in Figure 5.2 for instance* and then I imported it to AEA by pressing Activated Analysis in HYSYS before pressing Details in the Energy Analysis window.

I think you will have some trouble if you're trying to import streams with phase transitions. If so* segment the stream manually as described in Section 7.4.1. You can do this by:
        1: Add the stream that is going to be heated or cooled in HYSYS* say liquid to be super heated here.
        2: Add a heat exchanger (HE) and heat the stream to the boiling point* but with 0 vapor fraction.
        3: Copy the stream and HE and heat the stream from the boiling point with 1 in vapor fraction to the super heated temperature.
        4: Import to AEA.
        5: Add the boiling segment into stream (1) manually in AEA.
        6: Copy in the super heating part from stream (2) into stream (1) and delete stream (2) afterwards.

I'm pretty sure that's the way I did it...

Sorry for the late response - for some reason I couldn't post anything here...
        Last edited by TorOlavHE; 07-27-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Re: Aspen Energy Analyzer

Hello TorOlavHE*

You're making reference to figures and chapters while the references that you may refer to are not available (please check the links status you provided above and confirm they work.
        Thank you

•    Spons.

Quote Originally Posted by mobek View Post
        Hello TorOlavHE*

You're making reference to figures and chapters while the references that you may refer to are not available (please check the links status you provided above and confirm they work.
        Thank you
        Hi! They work for me... I get this message: "Now you leave Petroleum Community Forum and direct to the required website within 10 second"* and after 10 seconds I'm directed to the websites.

•