Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Eclipse step by step

Eclipse step by step

Preface

I am 1 year already user of this forum and personaly think that this forum is a best informational and sw resourse avaiable on net .
    Recently i notice that there are a lot of requestes regarding the use of software.
    So i diceded to make my input ( as i do not have ----- sw ) to start this thread for thouse who are just started use Eclipse Blackoil to share the knowledges i have for almost 5 years expirience.

Face))))
    I am ready to answer all the quastions in this thread if not hope that my idea will make others advance users to help me .

This thread will consist of several chapters trying to cover all requered information for building 3 phase model and understanding what happening in a black box called eclipse.
    Here is the link with all information

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access]

See More: Eclipse step by step
    Last edited by temr; 10-16-2009 at 02:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Spons Circuit

3. hey tamr, thanks for ur willingness to help.Truly, sw sharing shouldnt be the only practice here...increasing in knowledge rather sw accumulatn is what uplifts one's career. i am newbie with eclipse n petrel usage n i was hopin people like u wud put valuable lessons on d table for people like us to learn...if u cud make a quick ppt slide tutorial of these sw usage n upload on rapidshare, then it wud greatly help newbies as covering the 1500+ pages manual really takes a lot of time.
    thanks agn n expecting ur reply...my email ad is seuncaroline@yahoo.com

4.    Sponsored Links

-

Input data
    For making any sim model you would need the following
    1.Static data
    2. Fluid data (PVT, SCAL)
    3. Rock data
    4. Initialization data
    5.Well data
    If i miss something i will add do not worry).

1. Static data
    Static model the model which comes from any prepost ( like petrel, eclipse Grid, rms, power model by rumors) utility and have the following data which are
    1.1 Grid or mesh - physical position of cells ( in the corner point geometry it 8 coordinates of cell and depth of each corner)
    1.2 Faults - Faces of cells and transmissibility's(Link 2)
    1.3 Properties data - NTG, Poro, Swat, Permx, Permy, Permz
    1.4 Well connection data- data which generated by program telling which cell connects to which well/
    In this chapter i will use as prepost Petrel as i think it is for now the most powerful and user friendly package. If any one want to add other packages like RMS you are welcome.

Structure of data
    Grid o mesh
    To get that data out of petrel you will need to do the following
    1. Choose model ( pic1)
    Pic(1)

Right click on mouse (pic2)

Pic2

Pic 3

So you choose generic eclipse style geometry and property data (pic3)
    Once you type the name of new file Petel will as you do you want to also export properties
    my suggestion would be that you export properties separately because of i,j,k start position i will explain later
    So unchecking box EXPORT PROPERTIES(pic4)

Pic4

and pressing Export settings(pic4)

Pic 5

In advance settings (pic5) the most important boxes are Petrel cell origin and Undefined property value
    !!!! Petrel cell origin in Grid data SHOULD BE THE SAME AS WHEN YOU EXPORT PROPERTIES which will be shown later
    Other wise you can get reverse model
    Undefined property value should be 0 because some times Petrel by default can assign -999 in this case for example you will encounter ERROR during data read in eclipse which will be covered later.

So this file will tell simulator position of cell is it active or not and from this file simulator can culculate
    1. Bulk volume of cell
    2. Area of Faces of cell for calculating transmissibility's
    3. Depth of cell - take note that in Eclipse depth of cell calculates at the geometrical center of cell
    4. Number of active cells .
    Here MAIN note
    As most of users uses 32 bit version of Eclipse that means that windows can allocate for Eclipse only 1000000 mb of RAM memory .For each active cell Eclipse requires approximately 2.5 kbytes of memory . So for 32 version of Eclipse no meter how much of RAM your machine has you will be able to run models only limited to 417000 active cells .
    So you should now number of your future simulation model first in petrel if you do not want waste the time for repeat upscaling.
    How to do this ? it is very simple .
    The eclipse treats all incative cells( with actnum 0) and with ntg, poro =0 as inactive
    So in petrel check ntg property (pic(6))
    pic 6

and double click om the ntg property (pic7)

You will be return to property statistics
    What you need is number of cells in filtered area

So now my model consitts of 521000 cells but this cells includes also cells with 0 ntg to switch them off doble click on properties in model ( pic9)
    pic9

Go to filter (pic10)
    pic 10

And apply (USE VALUE FILTER) pic 11

now you made inactive all sells with ntg less than 0.0001
    no return to property Ntg pic 12
    pic12

the true number of active cells in my future model is 405895

Picture comes in file

The next chapter will cover PROPERTIES AND AUTOMATION EXPORT OF SEVERAL PROPERTIES using Petrel workflow to project directory of Eclipse data file

Last edited by temr; 10-16-2009 at 02:55 PM.

You have a great idea temr.

I would suggest to move this to the Reservoir section as here we get a lot of posts about software programs and your threat will get drowned in that traffic.

Could I also suggest to also use Petrel Demo data set so that others can follow in your footsteps by using this data. This way they can "play along" with You

8.    Spons.

In chapter 1 we reviewed GRID data required for simulator.
    In this Chapter 2 we will review following data for simulator
    2. Property data .
    3. Regional data
    4. fault data
    Property data.
    For calculation of net volume poro volume, hspv ( hydro carbon saturated pore volume) , transmissibility's, and compressibility's of each cell simulator needs data beside grid data which we already supply in chater 1.
    For this we need do export form petrel following properties
    1. NTG - (optional) net to gross ration if you not supply this simulator apply following approach gross volume of cell= net volume of cell
    2. PORO - ( amust parameter) poro of each cell
    3. PERMx - ( amust parameter) permeability in x direction in mD ( 1000 mD=1Darcy)
    4. PERMY- ( amust parameter) permeability in y direction in mD
    5. PERMZ- ( amust parameter) permeability in z direction in mD
    6. SWAT- ( optional) initial water saturation but this will cover more detail in Initialization Chapter
    Note:!!!!! As reserves in sim model should be equal to geological model it is several ways to match reserves
    1. Apply ntg multiplier in Sim model using ( rarely pore multiplier)
    2. Moving Oil Water contact position
    Multiplier can be applied directly in petrel by calculator function o using Multiply or using Multiply keyword in data file which will be covered later.
    Exporting data .
    Property data export process is the same as grid exporting process but instead you choose generic Ecl properties as shown in pic 21
    Pic 21
    Enter name of property and press Save button you will return to export settings tab press on advanced
    pic 22
    In advance tab make sure that cell ordering and traverse direction are the same like you use in grid export process
    pic 23
    Press ok button
    Open in note pad exported property you will have something like this pic 24
    NOTE !!!!!!!!!!! Eclipse has predefined names of property templates and they are PORO for porosity, NTG for net to gross, PERMx PERMY PERMZ for permeability , SWAT for initial water saturation and you SHOULD use them if for example you will use POROSITY instead of PORO ECLIPSE WILL give you an error during reading of data.
    How eclipse read this data
    Lets say you have model of dimension 100 * 200 * 10 cells which means you have 100 cells on i direction, 200 cells on j direction , 10 cells on k direction total amount of you model would de 100*200*10 = 200000 cells.
    Eclipse makes array for example ntg(100,200,10) and then start to fill this array reading data you supply in property files. In example on pic24 cell (1,1,1) will have NTG=0, cells(2,1,1) will have ntg=0 cells(5,1,1) will have NTG=0 etc.
    So now we supply eclipse with property data .
    Now Eclipse can calculate the following
    1. Adjust number of active cells by removing cells with 0 ntg and poro
    2. Make volumetrics of pore volume and hspv
    3. Calculate compressibility (if compressibility factor available) of cell ( how much energy has cell compressed in reservoir conditions - one of reservoir drives)
    3. Calculate transmissibility's between cells( in other words how fast one cell will communicate in terms of fluid flow with neighbor cells if pressure drops to one Bar)
    4 Initial water saturation . First eclipse calculates water in cell , then oil , then gas( if it is free phase) but calculation of pressure and saturation will be covered in Initialization Chapter
    In eclipse apart of property data there are several amust parameters as called by me geometrical data
    They are
    1. EQLNUM
    2. PVTNUM
    3. FIPNUM
    4. SATNUM
    All of this data of integer type ( like 1,2,3,4,....)
    Description of geometrical data
    EQLNUM is array telling eclipse of area in your model we you have unique contacts and free fluids types
    for example let say you filed divided by fault and you have in one side contact in -500 metres and in other side OWC-600 . you should tell eclipse what cells locate in area where you contact is -500 and were you cells with contacts -600. Sounding quite complicated if you do it manually but using petrel applying segment filter you can do it on fly.
    PVTNUM - like eqlnum , but with different oil PVT properties, like visqosy, GOR, etc
    FIPNUM - tells eclipse on which areas make separate report on reserves in place.
    SATNUM - tells eclipse the area with different SCAL data like Capillary pressure and relative permeability's.
    Example of eqlnum property
    The last data you need to export fro Petrel if it is available is fault data
    Fault data give to eclipse fault locations and are they permeable or not
    To make permeability( transmissibility multiplier) of faults go to the property modeling and double click on Fault analysis

You will be taken to fault analysis tool
    as you can see in my model there no transmissibility multiplier
    i can assign one for all faults or specify for each fault directly
    i will use one 0.5 for all an press Apply
    then click on faults in model and choose export

if you open exported data
    you will have 3 keywords
    1. FAULTS- gives position and face of each cells connects to faults
    2. MULTFLT- multiplier between cell faces crossing by the faults. you can change this parameter to match you history data in future runs
    3. THPRESFT - pressure drop when flow between cells crossing by fault is possible
    For more detail refer to ECLIPSE REFERANCE MANUAL

So how you can export properties in fly ? In petrel use Workflow option and recreate workflow from picture below and enjoy if you will have questions ask

This chapter finished all static or grid data required for sim model
    Next chapter will cover PVT and SCAL data
    full version with pictures

Shakespear ok agree with you if it possiable move this thread to reservoir section and i will prepare data set for petrel and eclipse this weekends

Attached is test model in petrel 2008 next chapters i will link to it
    Also workflow available for testing

Temr

Your God sent I think :-)

Thanks for doing this work. I worked in Geoquest previously but did not specialize in Reservoir Simulation though I know most of the packages needed to do a study. If I see a chance to give some useful input I will do so. Your perspective is better as you are showing the engineer's approach to get the final product based on 5 yrs. of doing this work.

I recall some issues with SCHEDULE section building with SCHEDULE. As I recall it had to do with setting the vertical/horizontal perm options correctly. This is my vague memory of this issue and will needed to read the documentation again to see if I can find it. There is plenty of "trip" point in this work, when going from package to package to final model. Experience is invaluable with this issue as the manual will not be enough.

Once again,what you are doing here is truly invaluable.

There is a Heriot-Watt forum run by Russian engineers that is very good (I know Russian) but obviously it is in Russian. If someone was stubborn they could use GOOGLE translate function to translate the web pages, but it is tedious as the translation is not good at times.

14. @tamr,
    u are simply amazing n a rare gift. ur contribution is classic n thanks for the selfless effort u are putting in for this...only God wud reward u. this is a pretty great start for us newbies.
    Shakespear made a great suggestion der about using petrel dataset since most if not all of us possess this dataset (plus petrel2008 n eclipse sw already installed) n wud easily follow thru these basics (cant wait 2get chap3). so when u are done with these basics, pls upload step-by-step training ppt slides using petrel gulfik field dataset. this wud greatly enhance n consolidate this whole tutorial.
    u are truly inspiring n a great person to this forum n the industry at large.
    thanks agn

15.    Spons.

16. Temr, you have no idea how excited to finally see this!!!! I am so thirsty tolearn about eclipse and Petrel....and the time has come now.... I will be reading and following every step you show....My god bless you my friend!!!
    Please post any thing like tutorials as Shakespeare mentioned.... I'll be tuning on for this... can't wait!!!!
    THANKS AGAIN!!

•