Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrel Step by Step

Petrel Step by Step

Folks now i have time to start petrel course so as usual all extra data will be loaded to 4shared folder
    The course i will introduce will cover almost all areas except seismic - the reason is for seismic you need to use more advance tools like IESX or Charizma, petrel only suitable for visualization and express analysis.

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access]

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access] The program will consist of the following chapters
    1. Introduction to geological modeling and reserve calculation
    2. Overview of the Petrel - general what you can done and what you can not done with petrel
    3. Input data tree (Well data)
    4. Input data tree (tops data)
    5. Input data tree (surface data and points)
    6. Input data tree (polygons)
    7. Input data tree (images and other data)
    8. Fault modeling
    9. Structural modeling
    11. Geometrical modeling
    12.Facies modeling
    13. Petrophysical modeling
    14. Saturation modeling
    15. Data analysis process
    16. Volume calculations
    17. How control quality of model
    18. Upscaling
    19. How control quality of upscale model
    20. Writing simple workflow ( wells, surfaces, logs)
    21. Exporting data to simulator
    So we will need the following
    Petrel 2009.1 or hire , Excel
    Please do not ask me for the Petrel as i do not have it
    So lets start ...........

See More: Petrel Step by Step

2. # ADS
    Spons Circuit

Chapter 1
    Introduction to geological modeling and reserve calculation
    The science of geological modeling and reserve calculation was born when the human started to ask the how i can calculate what i have inplace , the more sophisticated publication were started to appeared at the beginning of 20 century.
    I will simplify and give just background if you need detail you can find books in this folder for almost any discipline i will mention
    So what data are used calculate what is inplace ???
    1. Interpretation of seismic 2D lines or 3D survey.
    The approach of for seismic interpretation is the following
    the wave in medium are traveling with certain speed the more density of medium the faster wave passing the medium. On the boarder of 2 medium with different densities speed of wave is changing - this is key principal in seismic acquisition and interpretation process .
    To get or write seismic , on surface you need source of wave ( vibrator or dynamite) and receiver
    You produce waves and read what time each produced wave travel to ground reflects and been red by receiver. Then you start to process seismic . The final result is seismic in time . To convert you seismic to depth you need to build valid velocity model based on measurements in wells.
    So results of seismic can give you boundary of two media with different density - this may be horizon or fault.
    The other thing you can do with 3D seismic ids to define different geobodies and attributes , based on them you can predict some parameters in inner well space like pseudo-porosity.
    2. Well Data
    The data you use is horizons boundaries and log interpretation.
    During well drilling , well logging process taking place
    The purpose of this process to make measurements in drilling hole to do the following
    1. Define litology
    2. Define porosity
    3. Define resistivity

Several logging tools are available now, but all of them are working based on physical effects and the source of they measurements are
    1. Radioactivity
    2. Wave time travel
    3. Resistivity
    The boundary of horizons
    I will pass interpretation of the horizon process as this is process where person interpret horizon boundaries based only on his experience and vision and if for example you put 2 geologist in to 1 data set you will get at the end two different results - it is not a joke .
    The logging tools writes data vs depth on step basis - it mean there is no data between steps , and as usual this data are results of linear interpolation of two points . The standard for now is Las 2.0
    So interpreter uses several set of curves and his task is to calculate following set of curves
    1. Pay
    2.Porosity
    3. Sw
    4. Ressum table
    So this 3 set of curves are a must to calculate reserves in model
    Reservoir summation table is table where you put averages values for each well for each horizon.
    3.Core data
    During drilling also you need to take core sample the and for running following analysis
    1. RCA
    2. SCAL
    RCA ( routine core analysis)
    On this analysis you get following data
    1. Porosity measurements ( to match calculated vs fact porosity)
    2. Density measurements ( to get constants when calculating porosity from density logs)
    1. Permeability vertical horizontal ( needed for permeability calculation and cut off)
    2. Core structure analysis (for litology purposes)
    3. Litology analysis ( for facies model purposes)
    4. Resistivity analysis ( core sample saturated with brine to get resistivity values for Sw calculation by Archie formula)

SCAL(special core analysis)
    1. Capillary pressure (defining the values of pressure and irreducible water saturation Swi)
    2. Defining residual oil saturation (Imbibition drainage process)
    3. Relative permeability (Imbibition drainage process)
    Relative permeability directly not are not used in geological modeling but can be helpful during defining Sw cutoff
    Well test data
    To define position of you oil-water contact or gas-oil contact or gas-water contact you need to data
    1. Sw by logs
    2. Well test data
    Well test data
    After well finished you need to perforate and test it so each well have this following data during testing
    1. Date of testing
    2. Interval of testing
    3. What been produced from interval
    You will need all this data when you will define you initial let say OWC. Some times OWC tend to go up during production and for this you need to analysis dates and if need trash the certain data as YOU CULCULATE RESERVES AT TIME WHEN NO PRODUCTION TOOK PLACE
    Fluid data
    To get this data samples of fluids for reservoir take to laboratory where runs several test
    the result of this test several but you need following
    1. Initial Formation Volume Factor of oil (Bo - says what fraction of oil in reservoir condition to standard conditions)
    2. Initial Formation Volume Factor of gas (Bg - says what fraction of oil in reservoir condition to standard conditions)
    3. Initial Gas oil Ratio(GoR - says how much gas solved in 1 volume of oil in reservoir conditions)
    4. Initial condensate (Rv - says how much condensate solved in gas )

Reserve calculation formulae
    So how do we calculate reserves in place in standard conditions.
    Before we need to calculate HSPV - hydrocarbon saturated pore volume
    Bulk=All volume of you reservoir which lays above owc
    NTG = Ration of net thickness to gross thickness in wells
    NET=NTG*Bulk
    PORO = average ( weighted on net ) porosity values
    PV=Poro*Net
    Sw= average ( weighted on PV ) Sw values
    Soil=1-Sw
    Sgas=1-Sw-Sor
    where Sor oil residual oil saturation
    HSPV= Bulk*NTG*Poro*(1-Sw)
    for gas
    HSPV= Bulk*NTG*Poro*(1-Sw-Sor)

OIL in standard m3
    OIP= HSPV*(1/Bo)
    Gas free in standard m3
    GIP= HSPV*(1/Bg)
    Gas solved in standard m3
    GIP= OIP*GOR
    Condensate
    Condensate= GIP *Rv

One lyric step out
    During my long practice i heard a lot of time that old fashion reserve calculation or manual and modern 3D systems are different in they approach(1) . My opinion is that they implement same algorithms and the different between them is that 3D models give more precise results than hand calculation, keep this in mind when you will work with old people who far from 3d models, and try not to harm them with the expression(1) which is not correct

4.    Sponsored Links

-

6. I'am ready to follow, temr..

thanks

My threads; coyee :

7.    Spons.

Overview of the Petrel - general what you can done and what you can not done with petrel
    So for newcommers there is a hard decision what software to use .
    For the moment on the market there several commercial packages available.
    They are
    Petrel from Schlumberger , Rms - form Roxar , Powermodel from Landmark .
    There is also inhouse software like Gocad but in order to work on them you need to work in host company .
    The most popular are Petrel form Schlumberger and Rms from Roxar .
    It is up to you what to choose but i would advise you take Petrel and to understand the reason lets go to the past ...................
    in 2002 Schlumberger acquired Technoguide company and there product Petrel . But who are this people standing for Technoguide company ?. Several Roxar employees for years were trying to enhance Rms with features they thought would breakthrough the product , but as usual management pay no attention to their efforts, and our heroes decided to quite . After they found Technoguide company and make they own package called Petrel . In 2 years they throw away Rms from key customer- that was there 1 win and sweet revenge....
    So Petrel is enhance and more advance version of RMS - take the best .
    So for what purposes you can use petrel.
    1. Data base - it is quite reliable data base which can contain various type of data related to you project. The data of a various types, even you can store reservoir maps in jpeg format , how - will be shown later.
    2. Log interpretation tool - within petrel you can make simple calculations on well logs , make statistics and make regression analysis calculations. Petrel does not have buildin petrophysical formulas but you can easily put them the only requirements for that you need to know them.
    3. Geological interpretation tool - you can easily build cross-sections with certain logs to make geological interpretation of you horizons. It is more user friendly and easy to understand process
    4. Fluid contact interpretation - making comment logs you can easily make cross section with all you well tests to see the depth of you well inflow
    5. Making function - you can make correlation of 2 parameters and create function. This function can be used as trend or input data. This tool is quite useful as it allows you fast to find needed correlation. For example you need to see is there any function between depth and poro . In normal life you would need to open each log and put values of depth curve and poro curve to excel sheet . Here you just click 2 buttons and you get your correlation.
    6. Making editing surfaces - You can make and edit surfaces using several algos , and make any statistic , volume and area calculation and different edit operations .
    7. Loading and visualizing 2D and 2 D seismic - Loading 2D 3D seismic
    8. Interpret seismic ( horizons, bodies) - several tools available for seismic interpretation , but as i said before i will pass this section as i am not professional in it
    9. Building velocity models - making simple velocity models to convert from time to depth
    10. Making fault models - Advance tool to create fault with vast import parameters , will be covered later
    11. Making corner point grid - The corner point format assumes that grid cell corners are distributed along vertical, linear pillars. All grid cells have 8 corners, but these may not be geometrically distinct due to grid pinch-outs. Since the grids are allowed to contain vertical faults, all the eight corners are provided for each grid block.
    12. Structural modeling - Making complex horizon and zones with possible pitchout zones
    13 Facies modeling - facies are a body of rock with specified characteristics , so petrel has as deterministic and stochastic algos to model . Also it has algos to model environment of depositions like channels , delt, etc.
    14 Petrophysical modeling - quite advance tool to model petrophysical parameters like NTG , Poro and Perm in inner well space , i will describe later available algos
    15 Volume calculation - Calculate volumes of you model for any type of HC
    16 Make upscaling - Upscaling process is when you try to change resolution of you new grid but take parameters from existing grid with different scale .
    17 Make data analysis - statistical tools for searching ranges and making proper data destitution will be covered in detail in certain chapter
    18 Make statistics - this is lack in RMS but vast in petrel you can take any statistic you want
    16 Simulation ( i will not describe it as running all simulation in other simulator)
    17. Importing and visualizing eclipse results - this is a keen point as Flowvis is peace of sh*t and completely stacks with big simulation models ( >400 k active cells) . You can easily import and view you results and print for example current pressure maps weighed on poro volume and get average reservoir pressure around your wells ( more advance compare to WBP9)
    18. Making workflows - this is powerful tool that can speed up you process it several times , you can create export change rebuild surfaces points logs properties automatically . I will dedicate one full chapter were we will construct several easy workflow and will supply you with existing workflows.
    19.Writing you own plugins - but this world is not perfect certain things you can not do in workflows or you can but the process is to slow. Plagins is the add in you can write in Ocean environment using Visual Basic . It is advance area so if any has Ocean for 2009 you are welcome to post it here .
    What you can not do in petrel
    There is now dedicated workflow to model saturation and this you need to create by yourself

12. patient friends..

My threads; coyee :

13.    Spons.

•