Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrel Step by Step

Dear all i will continue this two part were quite easy
    all others take much more time to compose
    stay tuned

See More: Petrel Step by Step

2. # ADS
    Spons Circuit

In this chapter i will review the interface of petrel with the several comments on how to make certain thing
    The way i will structure the manual is the following i will only give you guidelines and hints , everything else you need to do by yourself using petrel manual. Also i will give same web links or links to materials for advance reading.
    Before start, download data set from

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access] I would recommend in parallel to start also reading books on VBA Excel - it is powerful tool which can help you short you work time consumption several times .
    For example now for me to load Ressum table as discreet logs to petrel using my macros takes approximately 5 minutes for 100 wells, while manual load of data for each well can take much more time
    During the course i will supply simple excel spreadsheets with macros which will help you to prepare data for loading, but if you want to understand them and go advanced you need to learn.

the VBA samples link ( Russian English)

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access] The VBA book link (English)

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access] The VBA book link (Russian)

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access] Also i will recommend to following sources
    Coordinates systems -will give you general understanding of projection

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access] Geostatic software library till 2008 all Petrel petrophysical algos are describe here)
    Source code of kriging and SGS

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access] All other handout will come as books and will be putted to the following folder

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access]

So let review petrel interface
    Below is a standard petrel window

Below you will find description of each panel
    1 .
    Program menu which contents standard menu factions and specific petrel function. Standard you can find in petrel manual for specific useful functions are
    Reference project tool

Reference project tool , this tool is for copy from one project to another with following restrictions,
    -you can not copy from newer version background project( let say 2009 version) to older master project let (say 2008 version)
    -you can not copy data within different coordinates system, the only data you can copy in this case is a workflow

Project settings

Coordinate system - this one you need to link your well coordinate systems and for example seismic coordinates , also this stuff is required when you work with Google petrel pluging, which will be covered in plugin section.

Free memory

When you work with big models there is problem with allocation of memory and as a result Petrel halted. To avoid this try to use this button- its free reserved program memory.

The most useful form my point is
    1.Center view of you displayed data
    2. Point of camera view
    3. Vertical scale
    all others explore by yourself)
    Custom tool bar dedicated to each process we will cover it in other chapters

In the window you can display following data
    3D window - all 3d data
    2D window - all 2D data
    Function window - function you build in petrel
    Histogram window - statistics
    Map window - maps
    Well section window
    Cross section window - cross section of 3d propety
    to add new window

Keep in mind that having many windows in project can result to slow Petrel work - try to minimize number of you windows

- the actual data base of all input data you loading in project which is
    1. Well data - well head , deviation, logs, core data, pictures, comment data , event data , production data
    2. Seismic data - 2D, 3D seismic and interpretation, note that Petrel do not store the Seismic as own binary , unless you make attributes, its seismic link file to project . So if you copy project do not forget to copy seismic data
    3. Surface or points - grid surfaces or points data , usually seismic interpretation of created surfaces
    4. Tops data - geological interpretation of you horizons or faults
    There are other type of data but we will focus on this 4 , because this is the minimum set to able you make valid model and reserve calculation.
    - the cornerpoint property grid repository . Place where petrel stores all 3D Models
    - the results window .
    - the place where petrel stores all data templates .Here by 2 clicking you can change template of any existing or add your templates .
    - the workflow repository. The place where petrel stores user workflows . This is advance part of Petrel , and as far as i know non of the existing programs has the same variety and flexibility of user commands or macros like petrel does . So if you want to be faster than people around pay a lot of attention to the chapter where we will cover basic macro programs.

- the processes menu. If you want to know what petrel can do in terms of task just open the menu and what is there
    1. Importing data
    to list all available formats petrel can talk to just click

for 2009 it is 125 but be very open to ASCII format
    2. Stratigraphic modeling - make edit tops and well correlation
    3. Geophysics - seismic interpretation and attribute analysis , velocity modeling
    4.Structural modeling - fault modeling, making grid
    5.Property modeling - or modeling properties in inner well space
    6.Upscaling - process where you change transform property values from one geometrical scale to another
    7.Fracture modeling - tool to model fractures , as its related to double poro or perm models i will not describe it as it is advance tool.
    8. Well engineering - tool to model well construction , but where and how to put project wells it will not say you, this is something i will explain you in separate chapter
    9. Simulation - having license of eclipse you can run simulation case va Petrel - i will pass this cause i running simulation in Tnavigator, the tool is more advance in terms of interface than eclipse but giving the same results , so if you will have question ask but there will be no dedicated chapter for this process
    10 Utilities - All utilities you need to run you gmodel, will be covered in detail later
    11. Plugins - user programs if i will find plagins fro 2009 i will make brief overview of them . In order to create them you need to have Ocean API license and be advance in with Visual Basic

- the place where all you result cases are stored like volume calculation
    - Windows management window. you can switch here between your windows add or delete the one you do not need
    link to chapter with picks

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access]

4.    Sponsored Links

-

Hi temr,

Many thanks for your efforts.
    I am just joining you guys. Please can you rehearse a bit and give me some time to follow.

Regards,

7.    Spons.

Quote Originally Posted by tiotech View Post
    Hi temr,

Many thanks for your efforts.
    I am just joining you guys. Please can you rehearse a bit and give me some time to follow.

Regards,
    Hi you will have a lot of time as next chapter will be ready in 4 days as i expect

10. thankss fr d pain ur taking sir

My threads; binnyoo7 :

Quote Originally Posted by binnyoo7 View Post
      thankss fr d pain ur taking sir
      Sharing the knowledge is not a pain, trust me - so do not worry for me
      For all ,
      I am preparing new data set from existing field and it takes more time to convert coordinate system to not abuse license holder))
      we will make the model from this set
      As many of you email there is a problem with version of Petrel
      so rather than have final project in version 2009.1 i will reverse the task
      I will supply you data in asci format
      we will together load the data and will build data set and the model in your version of petrel
      step by step
      So expect me to be online with data in 3 days i hope

• thanks tamr.
      i didnt know you ve started this tutorial you promised...i was your student in the ecl step by step and its was awesome.
      many many thanks.
      my 2009.1 petrel seems to crash every time i try saving or opening a project and hence, its been quite useless for me.
      i would appreciate any help from anyone....plssssssssssssssss
      so i wont miss out on this great tutorial by tamr.
      thanks tamr and all agn
      waiting for your help.
      my ad is seuncaroline at yahoo dot com

help for starting Petrel software

Hi Guys, joined today. I need to start Petrel as beginner.
      I have 2 things in mind:
      1- How can I have stand alone version of Petrel for my laptop having win 7 32 bit professional?
      2- Where I get free manual as beginner's traning manual?

Kay

My threads; kbhatti :

•    Spons.

Dear Kbhatti,
        For answer your questions
        1. Contact Schlumberger
        2. Follow this tutorial by Temr

•