Thumbs up Open Source Software.. Open and Free to all!

[B][COLOR="Navy"]Dear Friends...I am starting a new thread on Free & Open source software for various utility. As all we know there are many software companies who are acting monopoly in the market, sometimes they even dont offer trial version also.

To fight against the monopoly of the software company the "Open Dource Community" started...
    Open source is a development method for software that harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency of process.The Open Source Initiative (OSI) is a non-profit corporation formed to educate about and advocate for the benefits of open source and to build bridges among different constituencies in the open-source community.

Which offers:
    better quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, No cost or very lower cost, and an end to predatory vendor lock-in.

So, in this thread I will discusss about the various open source software...

Where I will discuss about:

1. Operating system
    2. Office and DTP Package
    3. Multimedia software
    4. Graphics and Design software
    5. Engineering and Science software
    6. Earth science software
    7. CAD/CAM software
    8. Simulation software
    ...... so... on.....

I expect full participation from you guys.....

Rgds
    Santanu

See More: Open Source Software.. Open and Free to all!

2. # ADS
    Spons Circuit

Now let's start with the first Topic > Operating systems

If we talk about OS what comes in our mind..... Definitely Microsoft for PC Users and OS X for Mac users...

But hey man.....you are paying from ur pockets... for getting them , and others uses.. -----ED versions....Is it a good to steal things u are not the thief man...

Now coming to security.... these OS mentioned above are Not completely safe as they are easily attacked by ****ers, Every time Microsoft claims that their OS is the best one..... but ....its is False. VIRUS and ****ER LOVES MICROSOFT. These OS are developed only a small group of Engineers, with their limited knowledge....so, how u can say these OS meets all the requirements, needs, and problems of all the users of the world.

Now coming to Open source OS, their principle is Make the Source code free... U can use the source code and develop and update the software depending on your needs and after analyzing the past Bugs. So, they are not limiting the developers to simple office room but extending them to the whole world.

So, Open source OS are more flexible, powerful and more secure

Now let me discuss about various Open source OS

First name comes is : LINUX
    Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the GNU General Public License , the source code for Linux is freely available to everyone.

1. You can download Linux at free of Cost
    2. You can Buy Linux ( They are Enterprise versions) from various distribution companies offering support and assistance at very lower cost ( Negligible compared to other OS)

The LINUX is available in the various Names:

1. Red hat Linux

2. SUSE Linux

3. Ubuntu Linux

4. Mandrake/ Mandriva Linux

5. Knoppix Linux

6. Fedora Linux

7. Debian Linux

8. Kondara Linux

9. Slackware Linux

10. Turbolinux etc etc

I suggest you people to use.. Red Hat, Suse, Fedora & Ubantu Linux who are more user friendly with Nice GUI

More Information:

[link Point to another website Only the registered members can access]
    Second OS: Solaris

This is one very powerful OS developed and distributed by Sun Micro systems ( Popular for their great JAVA).

Solaris can be obtained as free or paid version at very lower cost

More info:

Third OS: Free BSD
    FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for modern server, desktop, and embedded computer platforms

Last edited by jeetxxp; 02-08-2010 at 10:05 AM.

4.    Sponsored Links

-

Now let me discuss about Office Package and DTP software...
    There are lots of good, User friendly and powerful Open source Office and DTP package, which will make you forget about MS office, Adobe Page maker, Indesign etc etc.

Few good office Package software are

1. Open office: This is one of my favorite software. One great project by Sun Micro systems ( Now Oracle). Complete professional freeware office suite, with professional word processor, spreadsheet, etc. (50 - 70 MB). Versions available for Linux, Windows, Solaris and Max OS X. You can download the complete package with the inbuilt pdf converter at free of cost. isn't it amazing?

2.KOffice: Office suite for Linux/KDE (K Desktop Environment, Linux). Includes KSpread, KPresenter, KChart, KImage, KIllustrator, KFormula and KWord.

Low-cost Office Suites:
    1. Kingsoft Office Low-cost office suite using the same document formats (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt, .dot. .ppt, .pps, .pot, .csv and .xls) as Microsoft Office. It is compatible with MS Office, has the same look and feel, and costs much less.

2. Star Office: MS Office compatible suite from Sun Micro systems of programs at very low cost. Runs on Solaris OS, Windows, Macintosh OS X and Linux.

Few Good and Powerful DTP Packages:

1. Scribus Open Source Desktop Publishing program for Linux, MAC OS and Windows.

2. Page PLUS :Free desktop publishing and print program for Windows created by Serif Software. Useful when you want to create Ads, Brochures, Flyers, Forms, Newsletters, Handouts, Posters, Pricelists, Reports, Invitations, Calendars, Greeting cards, etc.

7. i thinh it is great ideal. I hope in future have got many member share software they have for other member

8.    Spons.

9. Chase is good because they protect you from fraud from online, phone ATM withdraws and in the store buying if somebody steals your card. B of A is the worst, they will nickel and dime you to death.

My threads; LAKEL.AMBERT :

• According me Firefox is best open source software. Firefox delivers accessible new appearance to make your online acquaintance added productive. Chose from over a thousand advantageous add-ons to personalize and accomplish it your own.

My threads; alvisnally :

• But the problem with these are, engineering softwares are not supporting

My threads; jitheshvenu :

•