Weldolet welding on pipe longitudinal weld seam

1. hemn_a
    Dear professionals,
    Here I would like to say hello to all and happy to find myself among you.
    Please let me know your valued comments on a challenge recently risen to me and it's" whether we are permitted to perform a weldolet connection in a position ( because of design restrictions) of pipe in a piping system in such a manner that it's weld interfere with the longitudinal weld seam of the pipe." If you have seen such a case talked on in standards please let's know the address, otherwise as an Engineer what would be your advice to do or not.

Thanks in advance,
    Nice time,
  2. siamak
    Hi
    This issue you have, is a concern of field Engineer not a Weld Engineer and not an inspector. But I have following advises:
    1) if it is possible break or cut two circumferential weld and rotate the pipe in a way that this longitudinal weld would have enough distance from weld toe of weld olet.
    2) if above is not possible you have to do more investigation which include but not limited to following:
    - ask from field engineer that how much joint efficiency was considered for this longitudinal weld (see table 302.3.4 ASME B31.3 and investigate relevant paragraphs.)
    - search relevant paragraph in ASME sec VIII Div 1 as a reference document.
    -find relevant WRC published for something similar
    - after Welding of olet you should RT adjacent weld toe.(if you want to use one radio graph it's length should be enough that cover 1.5 inch of longitudinal weld of pipe from weld toe of olet in each side.
    at last i should say if first approach is available forget the 2nd one.
    bye
  3. inconel
    hemn_a,

I suggest you to review ASME BPVC Section VIII Div-1, UW-14 to find a solution

Regards
  4. 653
    I suggest looking in AME PCC-2 to see if it covers your case. Welding onto a longitudinal seam is usually considered a bad idea because of hoop stress concentrations and dimensional concerns.
  5. 653
    I suggest looking in AME PCC-2 to see if it covers your case. Welding onto a longitudinal seam is usually considered a bad idea because of hoop stress concentrations and dimensional concerns.