PDA

View Full Version : Subsea Engineering an ill-advised path for Petrolem Engineers?

Orangeblood88
12-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I am a recent graduate in Petroleum Engineering at the University of Texas, and I am feverishly trying to learn more about oilfield occupations. I am interested in cementing a career path for me that I will be able to contribute my utmost potential to my employer. I have recently picked up laborious jobs offshore to get offshore experience and spend additional time learning under the drillers. It has provided me invaluable experience with acclimating me to offshore roles and operations that you seldom are taught about in school. Unfortunately, I have recently had some back issues arise, and I likely be unable to work a job that requires rigorous lifting.

I have talked to multiple people about subsea engineering, but the general consensus is it is much more suited for mechanical engineers, though some petroleum engineers work it. Do any of you feel following this path would be a wise decision for a petroleum engineer in the long haul? I love working jobs with higher levels of application, but I am concerned this approach would soon hit a dead end for petro engineers and the work would not be able to translate into experience for other career paths.

Can anyone provide insight to this? I greatly appreciate any assistance!

FATHI
12-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Interesting..I an old mechanical engineer (piping and vessels)..and I believe subsea needs special courses..sometimes I had difficulties to understand the real subsea people..anyway good luck