PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Manhour Estimate

sara58sara
05-03-2011, 05:36 PM
can anybody share a practical guideline for estimation of engineering manhour for different projects?

sara58sara
05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Furthermore, is there any rule for estimation of engineering manhour required in each discipline? Electrical, I&C, Civil, Structure, Piping, etc.?

DSB123
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Engineering Estimation "norms" are normally known as intellectual property of the various Companies and are not available otherwise another Company could undercut. Always remember the fundamental Rule "a job takes as long as it takes" and the second Rule "don't try and cut corners".

An engineering estimate is as good as the guy preparing the estimate. If he has insufficient experience then the estimate is more like a guesstimate!!!.

Another "golden Rule" is for "nuclear work" estimate as for a normal job then multiply the result by at least a factor of 4 or 5!!!

gusgon
05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
As DSB123 pointed out, companies estimate man-hours based on their own experiences. For instance a company like PDVSA, Venezuelan oil company, has a manual (if you speak spanish I could sent you a copy) where stablish for the type of engineering your are going to do (Conceptual, Basic, Detail) the typical documents and drawings required by each discipline. With that, and some criteria of your own, such as determining how many Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for instance might be required to a certain job, you estimate the man-hours. In the company whre I work, a engineering consultant, that is done by senior engineers of each discipline (Process, Mechanical, Electrical, etc). You as coordinator put al the man-hours togheter and estimate the staff hours such as Project Manager, Engineering Coordinator, Planner, Contract Administrator, Cost Estimators, etc. Many of those are full time, some are partial time, as might be the case of cost estiamtor, which is required once youa have sized the main equipment or bill of materials, depending of the type of engineering.
Other thing is determine the categories of required engineers, based on their experience. The more early stage in engineering, the more experienced engineers you required. For instance, for a conceptual engineering, you might require more experienced engineers, as more design criteria is required. Also for man-hours estimates you have to use judgment, as a more experienced engineer can develope some task more quickly and efficiently that a les experienced one, but is more costly.
So my dear friend, there is not a rule of thumb or a clear cut way of estimating man-hours for a project. Even some companies estimate engineering man-hours based on the number and type of equipment. And as DSB123 said, you almost always underestimate. Worst if you are competing against other engineering companies.
Based on you requirements I posted the book Engineering & Construction Project Management - A. Kerridge (Gulf Professional Publishing, 1986), where chapters 14 and 15 explained some methodology for estimating man-hours.
Againg for your benefit, I will be uploading another book with more information, but in a different thread to benefit more people. The book is Planning, Estimating and Control of Chemical Construction Projects (2nd Ed.) - P. Navarrete (Dekker). Look for it.

npsrinivasarao
05-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Dear Gusgon,
You are right the manhours are to be considered based on once personal experiance. But not all are so experianced and if possible let us share what ever info we can provided so that it can become the basis for others to make their own benchmarks.

I will for sure try to share some of the materials shortly and request all the forum members / friends to do the same for the sake of others. Pls bear for a short time until gather the data for posting here.

Best of luck to all.
Regards.

sara58sara
05-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Dear DSB123
Dear Gusgon

So many Thanks for the explanations. But still I am looking for some information to make my own benchmarks, as said by npsrinivasarao.
As I posted in another thread, the book Engineering & Construction Project Management was interesting to me but some contents in chapters 14 and 15 are not readable.

I wish the best for you friends
Regards

josefreitas
05-16-2011, 01:11 AM
the book link

tuancham
05-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks you

djordiman
05-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the book :)

greges2009
05-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Thanks josefreitas.

carlosdiperna
07-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Many thanks Jos Freitas for the book you've posted

carlosdiperna
07-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Hello, Gusgon. Is at your ability to send me a copy of the PDVSA costs estimating manual. I speak spanish (I'm from Uruguay). My email is carlosdiperna@gmail.com. TThank you very much. Best regards, saludos. Carlos

oswaldo arrioja
07-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Hola gusgon, agradezco si puedes compartir conmigo el manual que mencionas. Puedes enviarlo a ojaudo2@gmail.com o publicar en el foro una dirección para descargar. Yo trabajo como ingeniero de procesos y quiero aprender un poco mas del area.

Saludos Cordiales
Oswaldo

Engineering Estimation "norms" are normally known as intellectual property of the various Companies and are not available otherwise another Company could undercut. Always remember the fundamental Rule "a job takes as long as it takes" and the second Rule "don't try and cut corners".

An engineering estimate is as good as the guy preparing the estimate. If he has insufficient experience then the estimate is more like a guesstimate!!!.

Another "golden Rule" is for "nuclear work" estimate as for a normal job then multiply the result by at least a factor of 4 or 5!!!

npsrinivasarao
07-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Dear josefreitas, Thks for the share

mekkisam
08-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Thank u very much

mekkisam
08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Thank u

whtechc
08-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Dear josefreitas, Thanks for the wonderful share

NESTIN
10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Hello, Gusgon. Is at your ability to send me a copy of the PDVSA costs estimating manual.
My email is: nestor.amachuy@yahoo.com
Saludos....
Nestor

Read more:

quaytit
11-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Many thanks Jos Freitas for the book you've posted

ECH1
11-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Estimado Gugson,

Si puedes enviame una copia del manual de PDVSA a e27081962@yahoo.com.ar
Desde ya muchas gracias

bzbipin
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi,

Also please send the manual to me bzbipin@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

kwy1970
11-25-2011, 03:47 PM

patatinapiccolina
01-17-2012, 01:42 AM
Hello Gusgon

If possible could you send to me a copy of the PDVSA costs estimating manual.
I speak spanish quite well. My email is patatinapiccolina@gmail.com

Thanks a lot in advance

wcbphx
01-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Hello sir, can you please send me a copy at wcbphx@yahoo.com. Thank you.

GUEFK
01-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Dear Gusgon

could you please send me a copy of the PDVSA on saidrimane@yahoo.fr

Thanks

f81aa
01-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi gusgon:

Please upload and share the link of the oil company pdvsa manual you mentioned in your post #4.

Thanks

hznraja
01-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Hello sir, can you please send me a copy at hznraja@gmail.com. Thank you.

gusgon
02-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Dear fellows: Sorry for the delay. Here it is PDVSAs Project Guide - Guias de Gerencia de Proyectos de Inversion de Capital (GGPIC) - PDVSA. It is not a cost estimate manual. It is just a guide to project stages scopes and procedures. Unfortanately is in Spanish.
Link:

In a separate post I am sharing Conceptual Cost Estimating Manual (2nd Ed.) - J. Page (Gulf Professional Publishing), which for the estimation of Home Office Costs indicates engineering man hours estimates for a lot of equipments. I hope this will help.

fantastz
02-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Gusgon. Is at your ability to send me a copy of the PDVSA costs estimating manual.
My email is: tschens@gmail.com
Thanks

eljulitrunks
05-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Hello Sir Gusgon,
Could you help me sending the manual (PDVSA costs estimating manual) to my e-mail? eljulitrunks@hotmail.com
Thank you very much

mekkisam
06-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Please,
Can you send me a copy of the book,
Thanks,
bouasam@gmail.com

sadane
08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi Gusgon

Please send a copy of PDVSA book

Thanks

sadane
08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi Gusgon

Sorry
s.laib@yahoo.fr

rumimallick
01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi Can you send me this book please hashmisb@gmail.com it will be great help

wadhamama
02-13-2014, 08:55 PM
my question what is deference of estimation of man-hour in each stage of project e.g conception phase, and proposal phase, and detail deign phase?

jlbejaranor
02-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Dear sara58sara,
There are several ways to calculate what you want. One of them would be to assign a certain quantity of manhours to every document. As an example, these manhours could be from 30 to 50 hours depending on the expertise of the engineering personnel. But then arises the most important question: Estimate the quantity of documents or the structure of the engineering. This depends on the scope and the type of information that is given by your client. So rules of thumb can be useful but can also be very dangerous misguiding you to big mistakes.
Regards,
JLBejarano

memoo5000
02-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanksss

chuchai
03-09-2014, 03:10 PM
thank you!

jlgarciatucci
03-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Hello Sir Gusgon,
Could you help me sending the manual (PDVSA costs estimating manual) to my e-mail? jlgarciatucci@gmail.com
Thank you very much

iitcs
05-22-2015, 03:39 AM
HI I could not able to download from the link,

Could any body email the pdf thanks
farooq88m@gmail.com

fantastz
05-22-2015, 05:16 AM
Hello Sir Gusgon,
Can't download the manual, Please send this manual. Thanks!

fantastz
05-22-2015, 05:20 AM
Hello Sir Gusgon,
my email is
tschens@gmail.com

iitcs
05-22-2015, 05:29 AM
still i could not download

fantastz
05-22-2015, 05:59 AM
Hello Sir Gusgon,
my email is
tschens@gmail.com

nbz813
05-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Hi... me too, I need this manhour estimate...
Please send to zaal813@gmail.com

JOSE ADEMIR COSSIO LOPEZ
09-13-2015, 03:29 AM
Please, send me the manual mention PDVSA estimates, it would be quite helpful. Thank you so much. Send me to mail cossiolopezja@gmail.com.pe.

cytech
09-22-2015, 02:24 AM
Please share to this forum, thanks

cytech
08-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Thank you

cytech
08-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Hi all
cannot download please re-share thank you

Thaksen79
08-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Dear josefreitas,

could you please upload the book on 4shared as the above link is blocked at my end

Thaksen79
08-17-2016, 08:44 AM
Or else could you please send me the book at t_ingole@yahoo.co.in

irwansyah.muchtar
12-13-2016, 04:28 AM
Could anyone re-upload this valuable book to this forum.
Thanks in advance. God bless you

akominis
03-08-2017, 06:53 PM
As DSB123 pointed out* companies estimate man-hours based on their own experiences. For instance a company like PDVSA* Venezuelan oil company* has a manual (if you speak spanish I could sent you a copy) where stablish for the type of engineering your are going to do (Conceptual* Basic* Detail) the typical documents and drawings required by each discipline. With that* and some criteria of your own* such as determining how many Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for instance might be required to a certain job* you estimate the man-hours. In the company whre I work* a engineering consultant* that is done by senior engineers of each discipline (Process* Mechanical* Electrical* etc). You as coordinator put al the man-hours togheter and estimate the staff hours such as Project Manager* Engineering Coordinator* Planner* Contract Administrator* Cost Estimators* etc. Many of those are full time* some are partial time* as might be the case of cost estiamtor* which is required once youa have sized the main equipment or bill of materials* depending of the type of engineering.
Other thing is determine the categories of required engineers* based on their experience. The more early stage in engineering* the more experienced engineers you required. For instance* for a conceptual engineering* you might require more experienced engineers* as more design criteria is required. Also for man-hours estimates you have to use judgment* as a more experienced engineer can develope some task more quickly and efficiently that a les experienced one* but is more costly.
So my dear friend* there is not a rule of thumb or a clear cut way of estimating man-hours for a project. Even some companies estimate engineering man-hours based on the number and type of equipment. And as DSB123 said* you almost always underestimate. Worst if you are competing against other engineering companies.
Based on you requirements I posted the book Engineering & Construction Project Management - A. Kerridge (Gulf Professional Publishing* 1986)* where chapters 14 and 15 explained some methodology for estimating man-hours.
Againg for your benefit* I will be uploading another book with more information* but in a different thread to benefit more people. The book is Planning* Estimating and Control of Chemical Construction Projects (2nd Ed.) - P. Navarrete (Dekker). Look for it.

Dear Gusgon* any chance you can share with me the PDVSA book please?
Regards.

bzbipin
03-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Hello Sir Gusgon*
Could you help me sending the manual (PDVSA costs estimating manual) to my e-mail? bzbipin@gmail.com
Thank you very muc

pipppo
04-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Thanks

deshpandep33
04-12-2017, 08:43 AM
please repost

GvdB
05-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Kindly share this book again. Thanks.