The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want
By Sonja Lyubomirsky

* Publisher: Penguin Press HC, The
* Number Of Pages: 384
* Publication Date: 2007-12-27
* ISBN-10 / ASIN: 159420148X
* ISBN-13 / EAN: 9781594201486

Product Description:

You can change your personal capacity for happiness. Research psychologist Sonja Lyubomirsky's pioneering concept of the 40% solution shows you how

Drawing on her own groundbreaking research with thousands of men and women, research psychologist and University of California professor of psychology Sonja Lyubomirsky has pioneered a detailed yet easy-to-follow plan to increase happiness in our day-to-day lives-in the short term and over the long term. The How of Happiness is a different kind of happiness book, one that offers a comprehensive guide to understanding what happiness is, and isn't, and what can be done to bring us all closer to the happy life we envision for ourselves. Using more than a dozen uniquely formulated happiness-increasing strategies, The How of Happiness offers a new and potentially life- changing way to understand our innate potential for joy and happiness as well as our ability to sustain it in our lives.

Beginning with a short diagnostic quiz that helps readers to first quantify and then to understand what she describes as their "happiness set point," Lyubomirsky reveals that this set point determines just 50 percent of happiness while a mere 10 percent can be attributed to differences in life circumstances or situations. This leaves a startling, and startlingly underdeveloped, 40 percent of our capacity for happiness within our power to change.

Lyubomirsky's "happiness strategies" introduce readers to the concept of intentional activities, mindful actions that they can use to achieve a happier life. These include exercises in practicing optimism when imagining the future, instruction in how best to savor life's pleasures in the here and now, and a thoroughgoing explanation of the importance of staying active to being happy. Helping readers find the right fit between the goals they set and the activities she suggests, Lyubomirsky also helps readers understand the many obstacles to happiness as well as how to harness individual strengths to overcome them. Always emphasizing how much of our happiness is within our control, Lyubomirsky addresses the "scientific how" of her happiness research, demystifying the many myths that unnecessarily complicate its pursuit. Unlike those of many self-help books, all her recommendations are supported by scientific research.

The How of Happiness is both a powerful contribution to the field of positive psychology and a gift to all those who have questioned their own well- being and sought to take their happiness into their own hands.

Summary: Great book
Rating: 5

This is a great book which teaches about happiness. If you enjoy metaphors and new-age like slogans, if you enjoy having an almost magical notion of what happiness is - don't read this book, it's not for you. This book is for scientists, it reduces happiness to simple facts and actions, it explains what it is, how it behaves, and how we can harvest it for our own good. Just like "Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert explains why what we think will bring us joy doesn't, "The How of Happiness" explains what we must do to be happy, regardless of what we think we should do.

Summary: Don't worry and be happy - The scientific way...

Sonja Lyubomrisky is a psychology professor at UC Riverside and a true scholar in this field emerging field of happiness research. I have been strongly recommending this book to all our friends due to the quality of the insights and the practicality of applying them in our regular lives.

Key takeaways from this book that may be of use to you

1. We think $ will bring lots of happiness for a long time, and actually it brings a little happiness for a short time.
2. What determines happiness? 10% is situational, 50% is genetic and the remaining 40% is controllable by us.
3. Express gratitude only once a week but not daily.
4. Visualize your best possible future selves for 1-5-10 years. Break it down into goals and subgoals for the Best Possible Future Selves. Identify barrier thoughts (automatic negative thoughts and attack them with rational emotive questions)
5. Avoid overthinking. Happier the person, the less attention she pays to how others around her are doing. When you ruminate, Distract your thoughts or just say STOP, write your ruminations. Learn and acquire new skills to improve your self-worth. Distance yourself from rumination even further by contemplating the problem in the context of milky way.
6. Randomize a kind act once a week.
7. Better spouse: Spend five hours more per week being together and talking with your spouse. Before you part in the morning, find out one thing that each of you is going to do that day and at the once you come back from work, discuss that. Create media free zones and time. Rule of 5:1, Positive to Negative ratio, Increase the quality and quantity of affection, admiration and appreciation. Application of Michelangelo effect. Increase the amount of hugging.
8. Coping better using Ellis ABCDE method (Adversity, Belief, Consquence, Disputation and Energize)
9. Apply Flow concepts to your work and life. Try to work in the zone where the challenge is greater than the skills but not by too much.
10. Happy people do projects. Set public goals and spend more than 10000 hours towards them.

My points extended to more than 10+ pages and didn't think the Amazoners would be interested in this. Overall, I strongly recommend you go and buy this book and apply it to your personal life and be happy.

Don't worry and being happier,
Fred

Summary: Never Stop Searching For Happiness!

The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want by Sonja Lyubomirsky is a book on how to take responsibly for you own happiness. The author believes that much of our own capacity for happiness is within our own power. She offers exercises in understanding our own individual obstacles and offers positive ways to reach great joy in our lives.

Summary: Everyone should read this book!

As a doctorate level psychologist I was thrilled to finally see in the self-help market a book based on actual empirical research. This book is written for the common person to understand it, and the author does a great job of breaking down research and making it understandable for all people, and then translating it into practical activities that people can do to increase their happiness.

Summary: Helpful Approaches and Insights
Rating: 4

I recently had the opportunity to read a helpful book, The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky.

The author sets forth twelve "Happiness Enhancing Strategies". The reader is encouraged to adopt the handful of those that best suit his/her personality and situation. They are

(1) Counting your blessings: Expressing gratitude for what you have (either privately - through contemplation or journaling - or to a close other) or conveying your appreciation to one or more individuals whom you've never properly thanked. (CHAP 4)

(2) Cultivating optimism: Keeping a journal in which you imagine and write about the best possible future for yourself, or practicing to look at the bright side of every situation. (CHAP 4)

(3) Avoiding overthinking and social comparison: Using strategies (such as distraction) to cut down on how often you dwell on your problems and compare yourself to others. (CHAP 4)

(4) Practicing acts of kindness: Doing good things for others, whether friends or strangers, either directly or anonymously, either spontaneously or planned. (CHAP 5)

(5) Nurturing Relationships: Picking a relationship in need of strengthening, and investing time and energy in healing, cultivating, affirming, and enjoying it. (CHAP 5)

(6) Doing more activities that truly engage you: Increasing the number of experiences at home and work in which you "lose" yourself, which are challenging and absorbing. (CHAP 7)

(7) Replaying and savoring life's joys: Paying close attention, taking delight, and going over life's momentary pleasures and wonders - through thinking, writing, drawing, or sharing with another. (CHAP 7)

(8) Committing to your goals: Picking one, two, or three significant goals that are meaningful to you and devoting time and effort to pursuing them. (CHAP 8)

(9) Developing strategies for coping: Practicing ways to endure or surmount a recent stress, hardship, or trauma. (CHAP 6)

(10) Learning to forgive: Keeping a journal or writing a letter in which you work on letting go of anger and resentment towards one or more individuals who have hurt or wronged you. (CHAP 6)

(11) Practicing religion and spirituality: Becoming more involved in your church, temple, or mosque, or reading and pondering spiritually-themed books. (CHAP 9)

(12) Taking care of your body: Engaging in physical activity, meditating, and smiling and laughing. (CHAP 9).

I learned a few things from this book, though it's emphasis on happiness "techniques" was, for some areas, problematic for me. For example, developing a "strategy" for acts of kindness in order to enhance one's own happiness didn't sit well with me.

That being said, I am better off for having read it. First, I realized that I have a tendency to rethink and overthink things. The solution is to learn to "let go", and trust God in love and submission. Second, I am learning to get "into" what I'm doing now and live with God "here", rather than spend so much time regretting the past or fretting over the future. Third, I was reminded of the value of relationships: with God, with my wife and with my dear friends. Fourth, I have come to realize that most of my unhappiness is self-inflicted by neglect of my relationship with God.

I'd like to make clear that it does not appear to be the author's view, and it is certainly not mine, that the ultimate purpose of life is happiness. In the Christian understanding, sin is a neurosis and abiding joy is found, ultimately in repentance and victory over all that is not of God. As the Sermon on the Mount makes clear, the happy people in this world are the virtuous.

Still, happiness is a health issue, falling under the subcategory of mental health. I read it as I read books on other important health topics such as running, nutrition, running, sleep, running, weight-lifting and... running.

Also, the author of The How of Happiness places a high value on spirituality and religion. She is clear that one does not pursue spirituality, truth and meaning in order to become happy, but that happiness is without question, a byproduct of this pursuit.

Happiness at Work: Maximizing Your Psychological Capital for Success
By Jessica Pryce-Jones

* Publisher: Wiley
* Number Of Pages: 254
* Publication Date: 2010-04-19
* ISBN-10 / ASIN: 0470689420
* ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780470689424

Product Description:

Sharing the results of her four-year research journey in simple, jargon-free language, Pryce-Jones exposes the secrets of being happy at work.

* Focuses on what happiness really means in a work context and why it matters to individuals and organisations in both human and financial terms
* Equips readers with the information, knowledge and skills to make the most of the nearly 100,000 hours that they'll spend at work over a lifetime
* Demystifies psychological research through a fascinating array of anecdotes, case studies, and interviews from people in the trenches of the working world, including business world-leaders, politicians, particle physicists, and philosophers, sheep farmers, waitresses, journalists, teachers, and lawyers, to name just a few

Amazon.com Review:

Sharing the results of her four-year research journey in simple, jargon-free language, Pryce-Jones exposes the secrets of being happy at work.

* Focuses on what happiness really means in a work context and why it matters to individuals and organisations in both human and financial terms
* Equips readers with the information, knowledge and skills to make the most of the nearly 100,000 hours that they'll spend at work over a lifetime
* Demystifies psychological research through a fascinating array of anecdotes, case studies, and interviews from people in the trenches of the working world, including business world-leaders, politicians, particle physicists, and philosophers, sheep farmers, waitresses, journalists, teachers, and lawyers, to name just a few

How You Can Achieve Happiness at Work
Amazon-exclusive content from author Jessica Pryce Jones

The Five Keys to Happiness at Work

• Contribution – the effort you make and your perception of it

• Conviction – the motivation and resilience you have whatever the circumstances

• Culture – how well you feel you fit

• Commitment – knowing you’re there for the duration

• Confidence – the level of self-belief you have

But how should you apply them?

If you’re looking for a short-cut for how to get the most out of the 100,000 hours or so you’ll spend at work over the course of your life, here are my four top tips:

1. Remember that happiness comes first. In other words your attitude and mindset are vital. Who wants to work around a miserable and unhappy person all day long? I’m sure you don’t. And if happiness comes first, it’s not about when/then thinking, for example ‘when I’ve got a promotion, then I’ll be happy.’ It’s the here and now that matters.

2. Think about what really motivates you; is it feeling competent? Or connected to the people you work with? Perhaps it’s knowing you have choices, or most likely it’s a combination of all three. Figure out what works most for you and make sure you nurture that.

3. Notice when you feel your best at work; what are you doing? What circumstances have to be in place for that to happen? How can you build this into your daily working situation?

4. Remember that doing difficult things is how you grow and stretch your comfort zone. If you never do that you’ll shrink your confidence, so go for what’s difficult, not what’s safe and easy.

Summary: A top pick for any career psychology collection

Dread and unhappiness are the biggest barriers to productivity. "Happiness at Work: Maximizing Your Psychological Capital for Success" is a guide to keeping one's spirits up throughout one's career. With simple and straight forward language, Jessica Pryce-Jones comes at readers with a massive an assortment of tips and tricks, and explains why happiness matters and why doing something you hate for prolonged periods of time is not going to do you any favors. "Happiness at Work" is an intriguing and thoughtful read on workplace morale, a top pick for any career psychology collection.

Summary: A Well Researched Study on Happiness in the Workplace

Our work is such a significant part of our lives; it is important what we consider our Happiness at Work. From the employer's point of view, the difference in productivity between those workers who consider themselves happy and those who do not is very significant. Happy workers have more positive impact on all facets of work therefore the employer must consider "the what and how" of fostering Happiness at Work.

Happiness at Work is the result of an in-depth research study undertaken by the author Jessica Pryce-Jones and her associates.

There are some startling findings from this study that clearly demonstrate the importance of studying and understanding the factors that contribute to happiness at work. For example, "If you are really happy at work, you'll be 180 percent happier with life overall, have 180 percent more energy and be nearly 50 percent more productive than your less happy colleagues."

So what are the factors? According to the study there are 5 Cs that form the basis or foundation for happiness at work. They are contribution, conviction, culture, commitment and confidence. The findings were that the people who contribute the most, that is work the hardest are the happiest at work.

For each factor in the 5 Cs, there is a complete discussion and the results of their study.

After the 5Cs, comes Pride, Trust and Recognition. You must have pride in where you work, you must trust your employer and you must receive recognition for your efforts. And the last piece is "Achieving Your Potential". You will not be happy at work unless you feel you are achieving your potential.

The book discusses each of the 5 Cs in great detail, explaining what each means, how it is developed and fostered and the impact it has on Happiness at Work. At the end of each chapter is a summary statement about the chapter as well as the "top take-away" from it.

This book was the result of a well researched study. So there are some 31 pages of references at the end of the book.

This is a very important study that documents the relation between happiness at work and productivity. It clearly shows how our attitude and beliefs impact our lives, our energy and our results in both work and life.

Although the book is only 190 pages, there is very little white space. The layout is not one that I found reader friendly. There are numerous quotes in darkened boxes aligned on the side of many pages. I find this a bit distracting, I never know when to break from the text to read the quote. While some of the quotes were interesting, they break my concentration on the text and therefore I view them a bit negatively.

Apart from the layout and too many (for my taste) sidebar quotes, the book is an excellent study in employee happiness

There is a lot of value to be gained from this book. But be aware that it is the result of an in-depth study so it is a bit academic. It will probably remind you of a college level textbook.

Summary: Robust research links workplace happiness to productivity in this excellent new book

This immensely readable book delves into the science of happiness at work and the clear links with work productivity. In the past, happiness was so often seen as too soft an idea to be relevant to the workplace but it is now increasingly acknowledged as one of the key factors affecting work productivity.

This book sheds new light on the transformational effect of happiness in the workplace. I found `Happiness at Work' to be a mixture of sound practical advice backed up by years of thorough research, to insightful analysis drawing readers towards a self awareness of their own levels of happiness at work.

It is made all the more accessible by the fascinating anecdotes accompanying each chapter, with people interviewed ranging from country presidents and well known business leaders through to servers and cab drivers.

With work comprising about 100,000 hours of our lives, we should all certainly want to make the most of it. An inspirational read, breaking new ground - highly recommended.

Summary: Practical view on how happiness affects you in the workplace...

On occasion, I'll be offered a book for reading/reviewing that seems to come at a very opportune time. This ended up being one of those books... Happiness at Work: Maximizing Your Psychological Capital for Success by Jessica Pryce-Jones. There's no argument that the typical workplace has changed dramatically in the last few years, and I know my reactions have changed along with it. I've been having problems trying to wrap my thoughts around the "why" and "what now" aspects, and this book has given me some new perspectives and insights on things.

Contents:
Prologue; Why Happiness at Work? Why Now?; The Research Journey; Contribution from the Inside-Out; Contribution from the Outside-In; Conviction; Culture; Commitment; Confidence; Pride, Trust, and Recognition; Achieving Your Potential; Happiness at Work: A Conclusion; What Next; References Dramatis Personae; Index

Pryce-Jones bases her work on 5 Cs that form the basis for your level of happiness at work:

- Contribution - your effort and achievement (inside-out) as well as respect and appreciation (outside-in)
- Conviction - your motivation and feeling that you make a difference
- Culture - your work environment and how well you fit into that culture in terms of behavior and interactions
- Commitment - feeling that what you're doing is worthwhile, as well as having a positive feeling towards the work and organization
- Confidence - belief that you can handle the jobs, tasks, and interactions expected of you

Wrapped around these 5Cs are the concepts of Pride, Trust, and Recognition. Pride is having the feelings of value based on what you do and where you're headed. Trust is having faith in the organization, that they will deliver on what is promised and that they can be believed. And finally, Recognition is the acknowledgement from others based on what you do and how you do it. When all of these are considered as a whole and are present for you, you end up with a high level of happiness in your workplace which translates into a much higher level of productivity and satisfaction.

Depending on where you're at and what you're experiencing, you'll likely find that different parts of the book resonate at different levels. For me, the chapter on Confidence hit me hard, due to a number of technology changes we're going through. When you go from being "the expert" to not having all the answers any more, it *definitely* causes your confidence (and by extension your happiness) to take a hit. Fortunately, Pryce-Jones doesn't just leave me stranded in the no-confidence zone. There are solid and concrete ways to address that problem, and I need to take a serious look at changes there. I also reacted strongly to the Trust aspect of the Happiness equation, mostly due to the ever-increasing precarious balance between workload, resources, and budget. It's dangerously easy to become cynical over words and actions, and again that doesn't do much for one's happiness and satisfaction at work.

Another aspect of the book that makes it valuable is the sidebar entries from real people in real situations. A majority of the pages have sidebar margin stories that relate to the happiness aspect being discussed, and those stories move this book from "just another framework" to something that actually matches up with how things work in the real world. Without these stories, I probably would have found myself considering many of the concepts in an academic and theoretical fashion, not applying them to my own reality. With the stories to flesh out the ideas, that wasn't a problem.

Happiness at Work is a very good book for understanding aspects of work that traditionally aren't considered "important." And if you're struggling with a job (either new or long-term) that doesn't seem to have that "spark", you may find out why (as well as how to change yourself and get re-centered),

The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World
By Dalai Lama, Howard Cutler M.D.

* Publisher: Doubleday Religion
* Number Of Pages: 368
* Publication Date: 2009-10-06
* ISBN-10 / ASIN: 0767920643
* ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780767920643

Product Description:

Blending common sense and modern psychiatry, The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World applies Buddhist tradition to twenty-first-century struggles in a relevant way. The result is a wise approach to dealing with human problems that is both optimistic and realistic, even in the most challenging times.

How can we expect to find happiness and meaning in our lives when the modern world seems such an unhappy place?

His Holiness the Dalai Lama has suffered enormously throughout his life, yet he always seems to be smiling and serene. How does he do it? In The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World, Dr. Cutler walks readers through the Dalai Lama's philosophy on how to achieve peace of mind and come to terms with life's inherent suffering. Together, the two examine the roots of many of the problems facing the world and show us how we can approach these calamities in a way that alleviates suffering, and helps us along in our personal quests to be happy. Through stories, meditations, and in-depth conversations, the Dalai Lama teaches readers to identify the cultural influences and ways of thinking that lead to personal unhappiness, making sense of the hardships we face personally, as well as the afflictions suffered by others.

Summary: A very insightful and helpful book

The Art of Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition: A Handbook for Living

The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World is an absolutely amazing book. It is helpful in that it allows you to understand yourself and others. The book also discusses hate, violence and evil. His Holiness says that the Western world tends to see everything in black and white: good/evil, hate/love, and fear/aggression. In Buddhism, that is not the message. Not only are there shades of gray but also causes and consequences (karma). The one outstanding aspect is that the title is very relevant to today's circumstances in the real world. We are living in yes, a very troubled world. But this book, though published in 2009, was actually written before the recession/depression we are now experiencing in our daily lives. I highly recommend this book for His Holiness' Insights and Dr. Cutler's views and narration. Also, if you remove the book cover, you may notice that the maroon and yellow colors match the colors of the traditional Tibetan Buddhist robes. Also, along with the original Art of Happiness, which is now being distributed in a tenth anniversary edition, are twos books that are healing, moving, and insightful.

Summary: Finding Happiness in Oneself and Others

In 1998, H.H. the Dalai Lama and Dr. Howard C. Cutler, an American psychiatrist, wrote a book, "The Art of Happiness" which became a surprise best-seller. The Art of Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition: A Handbook for Living This book taught the importance of looking within and of controlling destructive emotions in finding happiness. Then, in 2003, the Dalai Lama and Dr. Cutler again collaborated in a book "The Art of Happiness at Work" which explores the reasons why many people suffer from job dissatisfaction and offers suggestions about improving one's life in the workplace. The Art of Happiness at Work

The Dalai Lama and Dr. Cutler have again collaborated on this third book, "The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World" (2009) which is substantially more ambitious in scope than its predecessors. The book is based upon a series of conversations between the two men held over the course of several years. Dr. Cutler wrote and formatted the book which was then read and approved by the Dalai Lama's interpreter. The book is roughly structured in the form of conversation and follow-up. Dr. Cutler and the Dalai Lama meet for, roughly, one hour per day during which Cutler questions the Dalai Lama on various matters pertaining to finding happiness. The Dalai Lama responds, frequently by reformulating Cutler's questions, and the two attempt to elaborate their ideas. Cutler usually takes the role of questioner. Following Cutler's descriptions of the meetings, he elaborates and expounds upon the Dalai Lama's ideas in his own voice. Sometimes Cutler offers a commentary upon what he has heard. But more often he uses his experience as a psychiatrist and his familiarity with recent psychological and neurological literature to put the Dalai Lama's ideas in a scientific context. The Dalai Lama's teachings, of course, are ultimately drawn from Buddhism, but this is not a religious book. Instead, the Dalai Lama presents what he calls "secular ethics" which he believes will be of value to people regardless of their religious commitments. Cutler writes from the perspective of Western science with the aim of showing the wisdom to be found in the Dalai Lama's teachings.

The book examines a common dichotomy in thinking about happiness. Some people believe happiness is an individual matter and must be pursued by each person for him or herself independently of social issues. Other people think, roughly, that happiness is social and that it is necessary to look at political and related conditions, such as poverty, war, and prejudice, and alleviate them if people are to be happy. In a variety of ways, the Dalai Lama and Cutler attempt to break down this dichotomy. They try to show that happiness is not an either-or situation but that the individual and the social depend upon each other. Thus, in the first part of the book, titled "I, Us, and Them" they reject both the dichotomy between "I or we" and the further dichotomy between "Us or Them." in favor of an understanding "Me and We" and "Us and Them." Their view is predicated on an understanding of the common humanity everyone shares in which the differences among people, while important and to be treasured and respected, pale in comparison to the qualities shared by all human beings.

In the second part of the book, "Violence versus Dialogue", the Dalai Lama expounds his teaching by focusing on the essential goodness and universality of human nature. He tries to explain the roots of violence in human destructive emotions and in the failure to understand reality. Realizing the difficulty and apparent intractability of some situations, the Dalai Lama and Cutler discuss the importance of seeing questions from many sides and from trying to understand the views of other persons. The authors believe these teachings have relevance to matters such as marriages, friendships, and the workplace, as well as to dealings between nations. Here again, there is a recognition on the Dalai Lama's part of the realistic, situational nature of this approach. It is not offered as a metaphysical or religious teaching.

The final part of the book "Happiness in a Troubled World" draws on the teaching of Buddhism that suffering is endemic to life. Perfection is not to be expected. The Dalai Lama and Cutler describe the importance of positive emotions, including hope, optimism and resilience in finding the way to happiness. Great emphasis is thinking about three things, 1. the social character of human life; 2. the interconnection and interdependence of people in the modern world; and 3. the common nature and character of all persons, in finding a way to individual and societal peace. The ultimate source of the teaching is empathy and compassion for both oneself and for others. In a brief summary in the Introduction to the book, Cutler describes its "key argument" that "positive emotions in general - and the supreme `positive emotions' of compassion and empathy in particular - lie at the intersecting point between inner and outer happiness, with the capacity to simultaneously bring about personal happiness and provide a potential solution to many of the problems plaguing society today (at least as the first step in overcoming these societal problems)"
(Introduction at xvi).

Of the three Dalai Lama - Cutler collaborations, this one is the most challenging. The book is difficult to read. It is written for the lay reader, certainly, but both the Dalai Lama and Cutler conduct their discussions at a learned, serious level. Regardless of one's religious commitments, there is much to be learned about redirecting one's thinking from reading this book. I found it auspicious to read this work at the beginning of a new year.

Robin Friedman

Summary: For Seekers Everywhere

"Your Holiness," began Howard Cutler, "I'd like to talk to you this morning about this idea that we are all the same. You know, in today's world there is such a pervasive feeling of isolation and alienation among people, a feeling of separateness, even suspicion."
Suddenly the Dalai Lama started to laugh. As if he had a sudden epiphany, he exclaimed, "Yes! Now if we could get beings from Mars to come down to the earth, and pose some kind of threat, then I think you would see all the people on earth unite very quickly!"
Thus the pair began a series of conversations that continued intermittently for several years which form the basis of this book, a sequel to the best-seller The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living.
We can find happiness and meaning in our lives, even in the face of terrible suffering.
Highly recommended for those inclined to seek.

Summary: A practical as well as spiritual guide

Buddhist spiritual leader, His Holiness the Dalai Lama and psychiatrist/neurology expert Howard C. Cutler, MD present The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World, a guide to help readers of all faiths better understand the roots of human misery worldwide, and work to alleviate suffering while learning to experience personal happiness. Chapters discuss the prejudice as the "Us versus Them" mind-set that can blossom into extreme nationalism; the causes of violence and human cruelty; the human capacity for hope and compassion; the role of positive emotions in building a better world; and much more. A practical as well as spiritual guide, The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World lives up to its title and is enthusiastically recommended not only for Buddhist studies shelves, but also for anyone seeking to improve their own lives and the lives of others.

Summary: Importance of Community

I am always moved by the Dalai Lama and the wisdom he shares. The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World is exceptional. The Dalai Lama speaks about the importance of community. It is inspiring to look outside myself & see what needs to be taken care of. I'm discovering that when I pay attention to the welfare and well-being of others, I experience well-being and great satisfaction.

I am amazed just how simple it is to access a state of well-being. I'm discovering this by also reading How to Create a Magical Relationship: The 3 Simple Ideas that Will Instantaneously Transform Your Love Life & Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life by Ariel & Shya Kane. When I don't work on myself, I can explore the possibilities of having a great life & sharing it with others. This is what the Dalai Lama & the Kanes speak about in their books. Treat yourself (and others) with these great books!